Junior Service to the Poor and Marginalized
Junior year service at Seattle Prep is an opportunity for students to engage with the poor and marginalized of the Seattle. Students will build relationships with the poor and marginalized and develop an understanding of the structural injustices these groups face and how to help seek justice with them.
Key requirements for Christian service
· Students are required to work one-on-one with poor and marginalized populations (No environmental, animal, clerical or computer work).
· The goal is for students to establish a lasting relationship with one agency and with people in need.
· Service commitments should last at least ten weeks (no more than four hours per week) and be done at one social service agency.
Juniors are required to complete 30 hours of direct Christian service with marginalized people in need DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR. (No summer service hours are counted)
Approved Christian Service Agencies: This document lists all of the approved agencies for junior service. All of these placements are tried and true organizations offering students multiple ways to serve those with disabilites, the homeless, youth in need of tutoring, etc.
Junior Timesheet: Make sure you are keeping track of your service hours using this form. Timesheets are due December 6th (10 hours), March 7th (20 hours), and May 2nd (30 hours)
The Junior Service Contract is due September 27th. Turn in white copy to your religion teacher, yellow copy to your agency supervisor, and keep the pink copy for your records. Click here for the Junior Contract.
Please fill the Approval Form out and turn in to Mr. Lester if you are interested in serving at an agency that is not on the Approved Christian Service Agencies sheet. Click here for an approval form for agencies not on the preapproved agency list.
Service Hour Deadlines :
· September 13th 8:45 – 10:05am Christian Service Volunteer Fair in the gym. Volunteer agencies come to Prep so students can learn about volunteer opportunities. Agencies will give a short presentation and information tables will be set up. Students should come prepared with a resume and questions.
·September 27th is the Volunteer Decision Day—All students need to hand in their Christian Service Contracts which state where you will be doing community service.
· At least 10 hours of service is to be completed by December 6th. Timesheets will be collected by your Religion teacher.
· At least 20 hours of service is to be completed by March 7th. Timesheets will be collected by your Religion teacher.
· At least 30 hours of service will be completed by May 2nd. Timesheets will be collected by your Religion teacher. Failure to complete hours impacts whether or not you will become a senior or allowed to commence. Service is a graduation requirement.
*See Junior Service Journal for more specific information regarding Junior Service.
Questions? Contact Mr. David Lester, Seattle Prep Christian Service Coordinators(206) 577-2274 email@example.com.